What is the first thing that comes to mind when we mention custom product labels? Branding, the colors, the material, the images. Rarely would you think of the adhesive used to stick the labels onto the product. Is that even important? The answer is a resounding yes!
While branding, materials, and appearance are all critical components of a label, the sticky adhesive is really the unsung hero. Without having the right amount (and kind) of stick, your labels could easily peel right off your products. So clearly, this “behind the scenes” player is equally essential when creating custom labels or stickers. The adhesive you chose can truly make or break your labels and customer experience.
If you’re designing a new label or introducing a new product on the market, there are a few things to consider when selecting the best adhesive. That’s where the experts like us come in! Our professional label designers can help you choose the best adhesive for the job. Read on to learn more about what goes into creating a premium label and how the adhesive affects your label application. Let’s get sticky…
Why Is It Important to Choose the Right Label Adhesive?
Choosing the right label adhesive might seem like a minor detail – after all, all it needs to do is help the label stick, right? It’s much more technical than that! You’ll need to make sure your labels stay on for as long as the product is in use. Your packaging needs to stay intact from the production stage to the time it will get discarded. Hence, this decision is crucial!
Plus, your label is a representation of your brand…every first impression counts. If your labels are coming off or seem damaged, it may negatively affect your brand image and sales. The products will look like they are of low quality and consumers may not be keen on making the purchase.
Labels are also necessary for displaying vital information, such as ingredients, instructions, expiry dates, etc. With damaged labels, consumers may not see the information that can help them make purchase decisions. If buyers can’t view the relevant information they need, they may even doubt the claims that your brand is making about what you can offer.
What Can Go Wrong if You Choose an Incorrect Adhesive?
Wondering what could possibly happen if you select an incorrect adhesive? Here are a few scenarios to avoid:
- Label Peeling: Labels can peel off. It will make your product look unprofessional and incomplete, and give a negative impression.
- Residue and Stains: Some adhesives leave behind stains or glue when removed. In items like clothing, this can damage the product’s appearance and ruin the consumer’s experience.
- Ineffective Information: If your label isn’t stuck properly, it could become unreadable. It can influence customers’ decisions in some cases.
- Costly Reprints: If your labels don’t stick, you might have to reprint them. It can be costly, and waste resources and the team’s time.
- Consumer Complaints: You might see a rise in customer complaints if the labels aren’t good enough. It can impact your brand negatively.
- Legal Compliance: In some industries, labels are subject to regulation. Using the wrong adhesive may mean non-compliance with labeling regulations.
Various Types of Label Adhesives and Their Purposes
Different kinds of stickers require different adhesive applications to ensure they stick properly. Each adhesive has their own purpose and sticks best in certain environments. Here are some common types of label adhesives used:
- Permanent Adhesives: These adhesives work by creating a strong bond with the surface of your packaging. They are ideal for items like consumer goods, food packaging, and pharmaceutical labels. These stickers must have a long shelf life.
- Removable Adhesives: Removable adhesives allow labels to be removed without leaving residue. They are suitable for temporary promotions, pricing labels, and products with changing information. They work well for items such as clothes as well.
- High-Tack Adhesives: High-tack adhesives are designed for difficult surfaces, such as oily or textured materials. They are commonly used in the automotive and industrial sectors.
- Freezer-Grade Adhesives: These adhesives are specially formulated to bear severely cold temperatures. They are ideal for products that need to be stored in freezers.
- Water-Activated Adhesives: Water-activated adhesives require moisture to stick well to the packaging. It makes them suitable for packaging in humid or wet conditions, such as beverage bottles.
- UV-Resistant Adhesives: UV-resistant adhesives can bear exposure to sunlight. Hence, they are often used for outdoor labels, like garden product labels and signage.
- Repositionable Adhesive: Repositionable adhesives allow labels to be adjusted or moved after application. They are perfect for products that require very accurate placement.
Examples of Adhesive Applications for Different Industries
Selecting the best label materials and adhesives for your specific industry is crucial to meet their unique requirements, work well with the product material, . Here are some examples of adhesives used in some common industries:
- Food and Beverage: Permanent adhesives that can withstand heat and cold.
- Healthcare and Pharmaceuticals: Tamper-evident or permanent adhesives to ensure safety and legal compliance.
- Retail: Removable adhesives, especially during sales and promotions.
- Cosmetics: Repositionable adhesives work well for differently shaped containers.
- Industrial Products: High-tack adhesives stick well to machinery and equipment, even in the harshest conditions.
- Agricultural Products: UV-resistant adhesives that can withstand harsh sunlight.
Factors to Consider When Choosing the Best Adhesive
When searching for the perfect adhesive for label application, here are some factors you should keep in mind for the best stick:
- Environmental Conditions: Heat conditions your product will be exposed to – extreme temperatures, humidity, etc. Choose an adhesive that can withstand these conditions.
- Label Size and Shape: The size and shape of your label affect what adhesive you can use. Odd shapes and sizes require specialized adhesives to ensure the labels don’t come off.
- Application Method: Think about how the labels will be applied – by hand or with a machine.
- Regulatory Requirements: Ensure that your label adhesive complies with industry regulations. This is especially important for companies like those dealing with food, pharmaceuticals, and healthcare products.
- Aesthetic Considerations: You must consider how the adhesive will affect the label’s appearance. Can you see the adhesive under the labels? Is it impacting the final look? Does it make the text illegible?
- Surface Type: Consider the material and texture of your product’s surface. Is it smooth or bumpy? Is the surface clean or oily? Different surfaces will require different types of adhesives.
- Label Duration: Determine whether your labels need to stick permanently or temporarily. You can then decide between permanent, removable, or high-tack adhesives.
- Brand Image: Consider how the label’s appearance affects your brand image. Labels that wrinkle, bubble, or fall off can harm your brand’s reputation.
Partner with the Experts at M&R Label for a 5-Star Experience
Choosing the right label adhesive is a critical aspect of a successful custom label result. The consequences of a wrong choice can cost you money, time, and frustration. That’s why it’s best to leave tasks like this up to us! Amateur custom label printing and application can easily go wrong, negatively impacting your brand.
Save yourself from wasted money and a damaged reputation by partnering with a professional custom label printer like M&R Label! We assure you our trusted team has extensive experience and can help you make the right choices for your product labels. We promise to deliver superior quality labels – on time and on budget. Let’s make sure you have a label that sticks in every condition!
Ready for creative label design, quick turnaround times, and excellent customer service? M&R Label is here to guide businesses of all sizes and industries through a successful label experience. Ask us about pre-press requirements, ink management, and shipping labels. Invest in the best! Connect with us today for award-winning labels that boost your business and take your brand to the next level.