A custom label design helps you stand out from the rest of the products on the shelf. It enhances your visibility and enhances brand image. The role of the custom label is even more important in e-commerce! Your label and packaging are the first aspects of your branding that the customer interacts with physically. Hence, it needs to be perfect (not only in design) but also in quality and finish.
The importance of lamination and finish in labels cannot be overstated! They serve a wide variety of purposes and ignoring them can lead to sloppy labels that tarnish your brand reputation and even hurt product sales. Not to mention the wasted money on poor labels. Our expert custom label designers at M&R Label are here to share what label finishes do for your product, the different types of lamination, and why they are so important…
The Importance of Using Lamination on Custom Labels & Stickers
Custom product labels serve a lot of purposes, apart from helping shoppers identify your products. They are a key aspect of your brand – representing your promises and claims, as well as serving as a first impression to new customers. They’re also used to communicate important information such as ingredients, instructions, expiration dates, etc. that are valuable for buyers. A laminated and finished label helps you achieve all these purposes without any problems.
What happens if labels (or stickers) aren’t laminated?
Save yourself from wasted money! Creating DIY labels on your own can pave the way for common mistakes. Here’s what can happen if you don’t properly laminate your labels:
- Labels can fade when exposed to harsh sunlight and other environmental factors. Once faded, they are not as attractive or eye-catching.
- Uncoated labels can get torn or start peeling during shipping and storage.
- Moisture and humidity can ruin uncoated stickers. They can get blurred, torn, smeared, and become ineffective.
- Uncoated labels also attract dirt more than laminated ones. Your labels will look untidy, affecting your brand image.
- Uncoated stickers are also more prone to external damage, reducing their lifespan.
What is Lamination? How Does it Work?
To laminate a label, a thin layer of transparent film is applied to its surface. The film is usually made of polypropylene, polyester, or vinyl, and protects your labels from various environmental conditions. They are beneficial for products and packaging that are exposed to chemicals, sunlight moisture, and rough handling.
Lamination labels have a variety of applications in multiple industries from food and beverages to cosmetics to manufacturing and pharmaceuticals. Lamination is not only specific to product labels – it is also used for packaging labels, promotional stickers, and much more.
Laminates, Varnishes, UV Coatings
You may have heard these terms used interchangeably, but they are not the same. Laminates, varnishes, and UV coatings are all methods to protect your labels, but they have different features and applications:
- Physical layer
- Add thickness and durability
- Long-lasting protection
- Liquid coating
- Glossy or matte finish
- Moderate protection
- Enhanced appearance
- Ultraviolet light-cured coating
- High-gloss finish
- Protection against UV exposure and abrasion
Different Types of Label Laminates
Various types of laminates meet different needs. An expert custom label designer like the M&R team can help you choose one that’s best suited for your label needs:
- Gloss laminate – shiny finish enhancing label appearance. This works well with labels that have brighter colors and images.
- Matte laminate – non-reflective finish making your labels look more elegant. This works well for luxury products.
- Satin laminate – semi-gloss finish that is used for a variety of labels across industries.
- Anti-scratch laminate – resistant or scratches. This works well for electronic items and machinery.
- Tamper-evident laminate – uses a destructible film that indicates if the product has been tampered with. This works best for sensitive products and pharmaceutical products.
The Many Benefits of Laminating Custom Labels and Stickers
Laminating custom labels and stickers proves to be a very beneficial investment for businesses. Here are some advantages your company will enjoy by opting for lamination…
- Durability: Laminated labels are more resistant to damage than unprotected labels. Hence, they are more durable and can tolerate harsher conditions.
- Aesthetics: Lamination improves the overall appearance of the labels, making them look more professional, trustworthy, and high-quality. This adds positively to your brand image.
- Enhanced resistance: Laminated labels have a greater resistance to moisture, sunlight, and chemicals.
- Longevity: Since they are more resistant to scratches, and harsh environmental conditions, laminated labels last longer, saving you the hassle and costs of replacing them frequently.
- Brand Reputation: Labels that last longer and are eye-catching are an asset for your brand. A well-designed label adds to your brand value and communicates your promise on the shelves!
- Customization and Versatility: when laminating labels you have a lot of options. You can customize it according to your business needs and demands.
The customization also allows these labels to be versatile and hence they have a wide range of applications from industrial products to personal ones.
- Easy Cleaning: Laminated labels do not attract and accumulate dirt. Hence they’re easier to maintain and clean when the product’s in use.
- Consistency in Print Quality: Lamination also protects the fine print and text on the labels. This ensures the labels always look as fresh as when they were printed.
- Regulatory Compliance: Some industries have labeling regulations that need to be followed. Laminating labels allow you to comply with these regulations as coated labels do not get damaged or torn easily, keeping the labels and information on them intact.
Choose M&R Label for All Your Professional Labeling & Sticker Needs!
Are you looking for stickers with a coupon, QR code, or for produce? If you need hazard or fragile stickers, we can do that too! Or maybe you need a premium label for a new product, or fresh shipping labels? Laminating your custom product labels and stickers is vital for a successful outcome. When you set out to design and print your labels, choose M&R Label.
As your premier full-service expert custom label design and printing provider, we consider ourselves your long-term label partner. We promise to offer our customers the very best quality materials, superior design, and expert label guidance at an affordable price.
At M&R Label, the customer always comes first. We’ll align with your business goals and collaborate with you to create award-winning labels that will take your brand to the top! Our teams work closely with yours to ensure that all labels meet industry requirements. To find out more about our process and how we can assist you, request a quote here.