There’s been a massive boom in vape usage in the US over the past few years alone. Consumers are ditching the traditional cigarette for a cleaner nicotine delivery system. Vape pens use e-liquids (also known as vape juice and e-juice) which contain nicotine and come in a wide variety of exciting flavors.
E-liquid is typically sold in small bottles. Because there are so many variations of vape liquid brands and flavors on the market, it’s imperative that your product separates itself from the pack. When a customer sees your e-liquid product in stores, they should be excited to try your flavors.
Have you noticed a lull in sales? Is the product not moving as quickly as you’d like? We have just the secret to increasing vape juice sales: premium custom labels. Your e-liquid products need a unique custom label design that meets industry requirements and exceeds expectations. M&R Label can help you do just that!
In this blog, we’ll discuss the laws and FDA regulations regarding e-liquid labeling, as well as tips for designing trendy e-liquid labels for every flavor.
Vaping By the Numbers
Check out these encouraging stats that showcase the popularity of e-liquids and vaping:
- As of 2018, 9% of U.S. adults said they “regularly or occasionally” vape. (Gallup, 2018)
- In the U.S., 27.5% of high school students use vape products. (The Truth Initiative, 2019)
- According to a 2019 survey, more than 5 million U.S. teenagers used e-cigarettes in the past 30 days. (U.S Food and Drug Administration, 2019)
- Nearly 1 million youth e-cigarette users use the product daily, and 1.6 million use it more than 20 times per month. (U.S. Food and Drug Administration, 2019)
- The global electronic cigarette market size was valued at $17,301.0 million in 2020, and is projected to reach $94,316.6 million by 2031.
It’s clear that vaping is here to stay and growing rapidly. As a manufacturer of e-liquid, you have to find a way to stand out. That may seem like a daunting task, but the professionals at M&R Label are here to guide you every step of the way!
Regulatory Requirements for E-Liquid Labels
Before we jump into the fun part (label design), it’s important to understand the rules and regulations regarding e-liquid labeling. The FDA has very strict guidelines for responsible labeling. Manufacturers that wish to market any e-liquid product are required by law to submit an application to the FDA demonstrating that the product meets guidelines.
The statistics above show that vaping is popular amongst a younger demographic. Despite that fact, it’s important that you don’t market your e-liquid to children. As much as you want to make sure your label stands out, you must first keep in mind that advertising with an appeal to kids is strictly prohibited by the FDA. Examples of this include: products marketed with labeling and/or advertising that resemble kid-friendly foods and drinks like juice boxes, candy, kid-friendly cereals, or cartoons.
You have a responsibility to your customers to be transparent about your product. All of your e-liquid labeling must include the following statement: “WARNING: This product contains nicotine. Nicotine is an addictive chemical.” This warning must be located on a prominent place on two of the primary display panels. The nicotine warning must take up 30% of each primary display panel and have at least a 12-point size font. The font style must be Helvetica bold or Arial bold and be easy to read. If the e-liquid bottle label itself is too small to fit the warning, it must be sold in a container, wrapper, or carton that does include the warning.
E-Liquid Label Design Elements
Now that we’ve discussed the requirements, it’s time to dig into the key label design elements that make up a premium e-liquid bottle…
- Bottle Shape: Some high-end e-liquid brands prefer to use square-shaped glass bottles that resemble a luxury cologne or perfume bottle. Most vape liquid bottles, however, use a tube shaped, plastic design. This makes them easier to ship in large amounts. Pick a design that fits your brand and aesthetic.
- Label Size: Consider a design that will be effective on both small and large bottles. Keep the bottle shape in mind as well. If your label is going to fit around a cylinder, choose a design that works well stretched around the bottle.
- Label Material: Remember your customer will be pouring liquid out of these bottles. This means you will want to make sure that drips and spills won’t ruin the adhesive on the label and cause it to separate from the bottle. Oil and water resistant labels are the way to go.
- Bottle Capacity: Bottle capacity will help determine the best label size. E-liquid bottles come anywhere from a 10 ml sample size to a 180 ml bulk order.
M&R Label has over 30 years of experience in the custom labeling industry and we can help you consider all of these factors in your label design process! Our goal is to get your vape juice off the shelves into vape pens where they belong.
Trendy Vape Juice Design Tips from M&R Label
Use bold splashes of color and eye-catching fonts. Choose a design that tells the story of the flavor you’re trying to sell. For example, if your e-liquid is a grape flavor, incorporate beautiful shades of purple that evoke the generally accepted color for grape flavored products.
Chances are you sell a variety of flavors. This can present quite the challenge when it comes to designing and printing labels that fit each flavor. Fortunately, M&R Label specializes in variable data label printing. Variable data label printing is a style of label printing that allows for minor changes in the design without scrapping the original design and starting from scratch each time. Let’s say you’re happy with your grape flavored e-liquid label design, but you’re hoping to introduce a new cherry flavor soon, and need to change the color from purple to red. Variable data label printing allows M&R Label the flexibility to make that change without compromising your brand consistency and disrupting the printing process. This keeps the labels flowing and your business running smoothly. Not to mention this printing method saves time and money!
We also can manage your label inventory, by making sure you have the right amount of labels at all times. This means you’ll never run out of the labels you need, even for your most popular products. Need shipping labels? We can do that too!
Every e-liquid manufacturer has their own unique branding for their labels. Partner with M&R Label and we will help you tell your story through creative, high quality labels. As the premier label printing service in Chicago, we can consult with you on label design, manage your label inventory, and make sure you follow FDA regulations for your labels.