Within the last decade, “Flat tummy teas”, anti-aging creams, and an endless amount of dietary supplements for every possible ailment have burst onto the scene through effective marketing and storytelling. Companies that manufacture these trendy products have been able to successfully market to younger demographics by partnering with popular social media influencers on Instagram.
To say dietary supplements and wellness brands are thriving right now would be the understatement of the century! If your supplement products fall into the nutraceutical category, the good news is the industry is absolutely booming right now…especially coming off the heels of the COVID-19 pandemic.
The even better news? Standing out from the sea of nutraceutical products is much easier when you partner with the custom label design experts at M&R Label. This blog covers nutraceutical market analysis, nutraceutical label packaging trends, and so much more.
The Nutraceutical Market Boom
“Nutraceutical” is a term used to describe a “substance that is a food or parts of a food and provides medical or health benefits, including the prevention and treatment of disease” The nutraceutical market is showing record growth. Let’s take a look at the numbers…
- Global Nutraceuticals Market to reach 441.7 Billion by 2026
- The US Market is Estimated to be at $112.6 billion in 2022
- The average American spends around $56 per month on dietary supplements
- 77% of American adults consume dietary supplements
With so much competition out there, your company needs branding and labels that will make your nutraceutical products stand out from the rest! Whether your company specializes in vitamins, children’s gummies, collagen products, or dietary supplements, we’re here to help! The M&R Label team is well versed in the nutraceutical packaging industry and prepared to create a high-quality custom label that’s unique to your product!
Let’s take a look at what nutraceutical industry leaders predict to be the new label and packaging trends for 2022…
5 Trends for Nutraceutical Packaging in 2022
The nutraceutical market continues to grow at a rapid pace. Some believe that the pandemic has sped up the pace drastically. Health and wellness has become a top priority for many Americans.
As U.S. consumers become increasingly health conscious and environmentally aware, the demand for products and services that enhance our (and the earth’s) overall wellbeing rises. If you believe in your product, so should your customer. Whether they see your brand on display at their local vitamin shop, or view your dietary supplement while shopping on Instagram, they should feel confident that your nutraceutical product offering is both safe and effective.
The following trends are what customers demand from nutraceutical manufacturers in 2022 and beyond…
- Sustainability: 75 percent of Millennials (those born between 1981-1996) are eco-conscious to the point of changing their buying habits to favor environmentally friendly products. And a vast majority of them say they are willing to pay more for eco-friendly products versus their cheaper competitors. Millennials are dialed into health and wellness trends, and that goes hand in hand with sustainability practices. Whether you use paper, recyclable materials there are plenty of sustainable packaging options at your disposal.
- Security and Shelf Life: Confidence is key here. Your customer will be ingesting your products, so your custom labels must instill confidence in the consumer that this product is both healthy and safe. There are a few ways to achieve this. Invest in child-proof, tamper-proof, and shipping-proof packaging to protect your brand’s reputation. There is an increased demand for natural and organic products that don’t use preservatives. This means that one of the primary goals for your packaging should be to secure the quality of your product so it’s fresh from point A to point B.
- Precise Label Inventory Management: Label inventory management is paramount to your success as a nutraceutical manufacturer. Label inventory mismanagement can lead to missed deadlines, unhappy customers, and affect your bottom line. Partner with an expert label inventory management firm like M&R Label to help manage your inventory. We help organize your barcodes, UPCs, and make sure you always have the right amount of labels on hand.
- Protection Against Counterfeiting: Only the most trustworthy brands can survive the competitive nature of the nutraceutical industry. Fortunately, there are multiple ways to communicate authenticity to your customers. In recent years, NFCs (near-field communication) invisible inks and lot numbers have gained popularity
- Supply Chain Security: Supply chain security continues to be at the forefront of issues for manufacturers; especially since the pandemic. Moving forward, the business with consistent and reliable supply chain management will have the best chance of success. Work with us to get your products where they need to go…and on time!
How to Create an FDA Approved Nutraceutical Label
If your nutraceutical product has FDA approval, chances are your team worked hard to achieve that status. Don’t let shoddy labeling or incomplete packaging take that approval away from you! When your company clearly follows the rules and regulations for nutraceutical labeling, it instills trust in your customers and keeps your product in stores. Consumers want transparency about what it is they are purchasing and putting into their bodies. In this section, we’ll walk through the FDA requirements for nutraceutical labels.
All nutraceutical supplement labels have two sections: the front of the label (what the customer sees while your product is on shelves) and the information panel…
Statement of Identity: This is the official name of the supplement. This information is typically found front and center on the front label panel.
Net Quantity of Contents Statement: This information communicates exactly how much of the product is in the container. It’s usually listed on the front panel somewhere underneath the statement of identity.
Nutrition Labeling: This is the real meat of the supplement label. It’s often referred to as the supplements facts section
Ingredient List: The list of all the ingredients used to manufacture the supplement appears immediately below the supplement facts.
Name and Place of Manufacturer or Distributor: This section is a listing of the name, city, state, and zip code of whoever manufactured, packed, or distributed the dietary supplement. This part is found below the ingredient list.
Serving Size Information: This section displays how much of the portion constitutes one serving, and how many servings are in the container.
Total Calories: List the number of calories per serving.
Name and Quantity of Every Ingredient: each ingredient in the supplement gets listed here. Quantity measurements should be listed in international units (IU’s).
Calories from and Types of Fat: Calories from fat, total fat, saturated fat, and cholesterol must be listed here. If your supplement contains any measurable amount of trans fat, that information must be placed directly underneath the listing for saturated fat.
Critical Components: The FDA requires that you list the quantities and percent daily value for the following nine ingredients: sodium, total carbohydrate, dietary fiber, sugars, protein, vitamin A, vitamin C, calcium, and iron. Listing this information for other substances is voluntary.
Percent Daily Value (DV) of Dietary Ingredients: On all dietary ingredients, the percent daily value must be declared.
Common Names Only for Ingredients with No Daily Value: If a daily value hasn’t been established by the FDA for an ingredient, its common name must be used.
The Most Common Nutraceutical Packaging Design Options
When you’re thinking about the custom label design for your product, you should start by choosing the type of nutraceutical packaging that works best for you. Nutraceutical packaging comes in all kinds of forms – liquid, capsules, tablets, and more. Many consumers prefer a jar, but there are plenty of other options. Read through these descriptions carefully and think about which packaging options fits your product’s needs and appeals to your target demographic.
- Shaped Pouch: Shaped pouches are highly customizable and can be created in nearly any size or shape you need. There is typically a tear notch or an attached spout that allows for smooth pouring, making it perfect for liquids. Kraft’s zesty lime vinaigrette is an example of a shaped pouch.
- Sample Packet: Need a way to introduce customers to your nutraceutical without pressuring you to make a big investment first? Sample packets are the perfect solution. These single-use pouches are ideal for samples or daily supplements. Customers can easily throw these into a purse or gym bag for convenient use. Personalized vitamin pack companies like Persona Nutrition use sample packs to let customers try before they buy.
- 3-Side Seal Pouch: With a flat bottom and a press-to-close resealable top, the Stand-Up Pouch is a practical and eye-catching way to market your nutritional supplements. The 3 side seal pouch is commonly used in the cannabis market for its practicality and ability to be resealed.
- Stand-up Pouch: What do comedians and pouches have in common? The best ones do stand up. Stand-up pouches are the perfect option for serving supplement powders. Many brands choose to leave one side clear so customers can see the contents of the pouch. You can also create a pouch with a hanging hole allow for easier display in stores. For the chocolate lovers out there, Sheila G’s Brownie Brittle is a great example of a stand-up pouch.
What Makes an Eye Catching Nutraceutical Label Design?
Clearly, the health and wellness product space is only going to keep growing. Let’s make sure your business grows with it! In this lucrative (and highly competitive) landscape, utilizing modern marketing and branding strategies from a professional printing partner like M&R Label is vital to stay relevant and keep up with the competition.
Create attention grabbing marketing. With so much competition on the shelves, you’ll want to make sure your nutraceutical product labels jump into customer carts! Labels should boast vibrant colors, bold fonts, and crisp graphics that match your branding. Need help designing eye-catching designs? M&R Label has experts ready to help you with premium label design.
Highlight health and quality of life benefits. You’ll want to make sure to showcase the benefits to the consumer to reassure them how your product will improve their quality of life! List these highlights on your label where it’s easy to see. Make sure your customer immediately knows how your product can help, just from looking at the custom label. If your product is made to boost energy, choose a font style and wording that makes that obvious to customers.
Choose the right materials. Nutraceutical products and dietary supplements are typically stored in kitchens and cabinets where they may be exposed to all types of temperatures, water, humidity, oil, and so forth. These labels require waterproof and oil resistant labeling materials for long-term durability. Once you tell us what your product is for, we can suggest the best label material and finish!
Nutraceutical product packaging must be informative, creative, and unique to survive in this crowded market space. You don’t have to do it alone! Don’t just take our word for it, here’s what a client of ours had to say about us…
“I have worked with the folks at M&R Label for over 10 years. Their label pricing is very competitive and their quality along with attention to detail is the best in the industry! Combine that with fast turnaround times and service makes them my go to company for any label needs. Definitely a 5+ star company.” – Client Review
No matter what your health and wellness product line is, we have the custom label solution for you and your brand. With over 30 years of industry experience, you can trust that our experts are ready to help your business grow and prosper! Don’t wait, contact the experts at M&R Label to get started ASAP!