As a small business, you must be looking for cost savings and work on all the processes in the supply chain by yourself. Well, it can be a great idea, if you know what you are doing. Even then, you cannot continue doing your business as such always – you’ll have to outsource.
Printing is one such activity that businesses can do on their own with a home printer for cost-saving. But while making your decision, you must know if that is the right decision and till when it is feasible.
To help you with your decision, we’ll cover the conditions when you should print labels on your own versus hiring professional label printers. With a deep analysis of the pros and cons of each, you can ensure more savings and higher productivity.
So, it is essential to read the article till the end. Let’s start:
Pros and cons of printing your own labels vs. professional Printing:
Below we have mentioned the pros and cons of each technique to ensure you have all the information for decision-making.
Pros of printing your own labels:
Here are the main benefits you can expect by printing your own labels:
- You don’t have to store excessive labels beforehand. You can print them on the go, saving resources and time. Such stickers also do not become a blocker in your deliveries as you have everything available.
- You have the opportunity to customize your label with specific shipping needs or individual incentives that you wish to provide your customers with.
- You might save cost if the label quantity you need is limited.
Cons of printing your labels:
Here are the aspects that might discourage you from choosing DIY printing:
- The overall cost saving you are assuming might not exactly be saving you anything. There is the cost of the printer, ink, people, and the time you spend designing and printing these labels. Compare them with a situation when you could have directly received your stickers ready to apply to the products.
- Lack of experience in choosing the right material might cost you more
- Without industry insights regarding product labels, you might not excel at the same pace as the other new players.
Pros of choosing a professional printing company:
Here are the main reasons to choose a professional printing company:
- Provides you with high-quality labels and the market insights essential for you
- Advises you on the type of raw material considering your product type
- Provides you with a better quote when looking for stickers in bulk quantities because of economies of scale
Cons of a professional label printing company:
Here are some things you should be aware of:
- Choosing the wrong printing company can spoil your labels, enhance your costs and create problems with branding
- Late deliveries might cost your customers
- Some printing companies might offer a limited choice of customization, and raw material selection
When to Choose to Print Yourself?
Now, that you know the pros and cons of each method, you comprehend what to expect.
You must choose DIY printing, if:
- You have a limited number of orders
- You have just started out
- The products you sell require customized labeling
- You sell large products for which you won’t make large sales
When to Choose a Professional Printing Company?
You must not rely on your internal resources and outsource the printing gig at the right time. Here’s the best time to hire a professional company for this purpose:
- When you are in your growth phase
- When the volume of your sales is abundant
- When you manufacture products in batches instead of individual products
- When you have multiple orders
With such a direct comparison of the scenarios, you can better align with the situation and make an informed decision.
But when hiring a label printing company, you might be overwhelmed with the number of companies available and the way to choose the right company. The article about the factors for selecting a professional label printing company can help in this regard.
You must look for the essential factors and ensure that the company you select must have those.
There is no right choice between DIY printing and choosing a professional company for this purpose. It is about the timing, resources, and nature of the industry you operate in.